Me and Otis watchin’ the ships roll in

Well, I needed rest and I got it. After an extremely warm, enthusiastic welcome from an old friend, Marjie, I was like a hibernating bear for a few days. She extended her hospitality and told me I could stay as long as I wanted, coming and going as I pleased. I didn’t know it, but I really needed to hear that as I had been feeling a forward momentum push and was rung out. She lives in Dover, New Hampshire, right near Portsmouth on the Atlantic Ocean. I sought my solace in ocean views of lighthouses, little islands and sea smells. I took three nights and crashed. Marjie had to work all the days, so I was able to sleep in and recharge my batteries. What a gift this was to a weary traveler.

Marjie and our lobsters

My first night she took me to Newick’s Lobster House right on the bay and I had my first whole lobster. I named him Charlie and felt rather Spartan tearing him apart and ripping his limbs off. And what a mess, the bibs provided were needed as juice and shells shot off in all directions. Being a novice at the whole cracking the shell thing I made quite a jumble of it, but tried to keep it under control. I know now why they only serve the tail in most restaurants, it’s more civilized! But it was an experience one needs to have and I can cross that off the list. Not sure I need to do it again.

After sleeping in and lazing around catching up on emails and such, I took off to explore Portsmouth and find the water. I found myself at the town park and sat on the dock by the bay “watchin’ the tide roll away” reading a book and staring numbly at fish boats. The park was showing Top Gun that night on a big blow up screen and Marjie met me there and we watched as the moon rose and decorated the sky. I hadn’t seen Top Gun since high school, so it was all new again and fun to see all those glistening, male, naked, muscled chests in the moonlight.

I went to yet another beach the next day and had an even better view of another lighthouse. I napped, snacked, read, and did some watercolor painting until Marjie met me there with a pizza. Such a great do nothing, relaxation day. I feel ready to meet more highways, new towns and people now. The respite to do a lot of nothing sure was lovely.

Sittin’ in the morning sun

I’ll be sittin’ when the evening comes

Watching the ships roll in

Then I watch them roll away again, yeah

I’m sittin’ on the dock of the bay

Watchin’ the tide roll away, ooh

I’m just sittin’ on the dock of the bay

Wastin’ time


2 thoughts on “Me and Otis watchin’ the ships roll in

  1. I wish I had been paying attention to the route–Andrew lives in Rye, NH and works in Portsmouth for Portsmouth Kayak doing ocean tours. I am not sure you would have recognized one another if you had passed each other! What a wonderful thing to stay with Marjie!

    • Oh drat, sad, sad regrets! I would have LOVED to have seen Andrew. I would have gone kayaking with him! I told Marjie that he was in NH somewhere, but failed to write you and find out where. 😦 Nick and Noah are in NH and Nick is into outdoor adventure stuff too. He got his degree in that even and is working in the NH mountains. Small world! Sigh, such a bummer. xoxoxoxo miss you, dear lady.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s